This position closes at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, March 8th, 2013. Overview
This is a 6 month contract.
Our Client is seeking a Lead Solution Designer.Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager or Application Solutions Manager with a dotted line of responsibility to the IS Project Manager, this role is responsible for the effective leadership, direction, influence, and support of the work of all employee and technical contractors completing IS work on the projects.
The Solution Designer ensures that solutions are designed based on the specifications of the business and are in line with the overall enterprise architecture, corporate standards and roadmaps.
This position is responsible for providing the technical interface between the Project Management Office and IS Operations. The direction and guidance provided by this position will have a substantial impact on the project success and will be responsible for contributing to the IS technical strategic direction (solution methods and procedures).
Responsibilities of the Solution Designer could include:
- Ensures alignment of projects with our Client's business goals & plans and EH&S commitments.
- Responsible for working within the enterprise standards framework and influencing the standards evolution or new enterprise standards through collaboration with application and infrastructure councils, and by staying current on Industry Standards.
- Ensure solution designs are compliant with target architectures and standards, and are in alignment with Corporate IS philosophy. Define and evaluate discipline specific IS architecture.
- Represent Solution Design at the Architecture Review Board to ensure Solution Designers are aligned with enterprise architecture.
- Works within an integrated team that is accountable for the planning and delivery of quality, timely and cost effective execution of all the engineering, procurement and construction activities including turnover to operations.
- Governance, stewardship, and assist in the development of project requirement analysis, scope definition, detailed project plans, estimates, and delivery of required solution. Manage, maintain, and approve key IS project documents.
- Evaluate and approve IS standards and specifications for use on the project.
- Select appropriate design of IS solution to minimise project capital cost and schedule impact while maximising deliverables operability, reliability and maintainability.
- Support the preparation of IS project budget estimates, monitor the process for measuring estimates, and monitor the status for Project Managers, Program Managers, and clients.
- Work closely with the Project Manager's to prepare order-of-magnitude on high level resource and timeline estimates.
- Support in preparation of IS schedule and assist with schedule status reporting.
- Review and support preparation of project IS material takeoffs and bill of materials.
- Supervision, work assignment and support of Solutions Designers within the discipline of responsibility (Leader).
- Provide coaching/mentoring for IS operations and projects.
- Evaluate and assist in definition of shop and field Quality Assurance inspection requirements.
- Support the Project Delivery team triaging enhancement requests for delivery by outsource partners.
- Monitor risk, security and regulatory compliance requirements into high level design.
- Provide 3rd Tier Consulting services to IS Operations and Vendors for critical sustainment issues.
- Reviews and approves the solutions and estimates provided by the vendors as part of the Statement of Work response to the Request for Service submission.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with strategic vendors.
- Collaboration with Operations, Applications Solution Design, and the Project Management Office.
- Support the build versus buy decisions.
- Work closely with Project Managers on hiring of resources.
- Support reuse of existing services, hardware, and equipment.
How to Apply
- 10+ years IT experience, preferably in End User computing
- Senior Technologist with experience developing multi-vendor infrastructure solutions
- IT Generalist with an understanding of more than just Storage needs, such as Networking, Windows, Active Directory, etc.
- Ability to relate technical solutions to business requirements
- Experience with EMC Isilon Storage
- Experience with F5 ARX Switches
- Aid in developing solution or application architectures to meet business requirements, either for an organization or for a major application area
- Assist development teams in the development and implementation of applications
- EXTREMELY task-oriented
- Detail & results oriented
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to manage the timelines of other team-members, including shifting priorities.
If you meet the required Qualifications and are interested in this position, please forward your updated Resume with the Subject line WW1592 - Lead Solution Designer as a Word attachment to Information Technology Recruitment.
This client will only consider candidates who are authorized to work in Canada for this opportunity.