Director, Tissue Program
Full Time Position
Trillium Gift of Life Network is an agency of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care responsible for the coordination of organ and tissue donation and transplantation in Ontario. Our mandate includes increasing public awareness of the importance of organ and tissue donation, education of health care professionals, and ensuring a safe and effective donation and transplant system in Ontario. Working collaboratively with our stakeholders and fostering organizational and individual growth, we value honesty, trust, respect and compassion.
The Director, Tissue Program is a newly defined role and an integral member of the clinical team. This position is responsible for planning and managing an integrated tissue system including tissue donation, recovery and tissue banking. The tissue system includes the following tissue types: Ocular, Cardiovascular, Skin, Musculoskeletal and Connective tissue. Working with the Directors, Hospital Programs and diverse stakeholders, this position promotes collaborative efforts to fully integrate tissue donation best practices in hospitals, with coroners and forensic pathologists, funeral home professionals and others where tissue donation can be maximized. In collaboration with Ontario tissue banks, this position ensures that recovery services are effective and planning for tissue banking services is in alignment with Ontario tissue transplant requirements.
This position is responsible for the TGLN staff providing telephone approach to families and coordinating recovery services in partnership with tissue banks, hospitals and other stakeholders.
This position requires on-call responsibilities, the availability to promptly travel within the province of Ontario, access to a car and a valid G driver’s license.
• Provide leadership in the delivery of safe and effective tissue donation and recovery services across the province;
• Increase tissue donation rates through effective and integrated systems;
• In partnership with Directors of Hospital Programs, responsible for ensuring efficient and effective donation services to Ontario hospitals;
• Ability to champion excellence in service delivery;
• Develop and manage the business plan and departmental budget for areas of responsibility;
• Support donation case management through sound understanding of the donation practices and successful problem solving;
• Make recommendations and develop appropriate business cases for new programs and initiatives;
• Prepare strategic and risk analysis to evaluate projects;
• Maintain a solid understanding of key business metrics and drivers, to ensure that policies and procedures support both short and long term strategies;
• Develop and use performance metrics to drive performance forward;
• Leads process design and continuous improvement of workflows encompassing industry best practices, participating in process design sessions and translating outcomes into process and workflow documentation;
• Build relationships and work collaboratively to identify solutions and resolve problems with a diverse group of stakeholders including inter-professional teams in the tissue banks;
• Ensures effective communication and coordination with an internal network of people, including: TGLN staff and leadership, medical professionals and the tissue banks;
• Manages the performance review process, including annual review, ongoing performance evaluations, and personal development plans;
• On-call responsibilities as defined by company policy and/or guidelines.
• Background in organ and tissue donation or tissue banking an asset;
• Master’s degree with at least five years of management experience or a combination of equivalent experience and education;
• Strong clinical background and understanding required;
• Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential;
• Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently;
• Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including senior; management, clients, stakeholders and other departments;
• Ability to bring projects to successful completion through political sensitivity;
• Exceptional written, oral and presentation skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills;
• Ability to interpret, analyze, create and apply concepts and approaches;
• Expertise in effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in a high pressure environment;
• Capability to recommend strategic direction and develop programs;
• Demonstrated influencing, negotiating and counseling skills;
• Highly developed time management skills and ability to prioritize.
• Understand Ontario's health care system, hospital healthcare delivery practices, and related regulations;
• Ability to apply knowledge when providing strategic advice and ensure that project planning and management standards meet the business needs of TGLN and stakeholders;
• Issues management and strategic orientation skills to link current actions to strategies or long-term perspective.
Trillium Gift of Life Network offers a competitive salary. Please apply to Human Resources, Trillium Gift of Life Network, 522 University Avenue, Suite 900, Toronto, ON M5G 1W7 by March 1, 2013, referencing competition # DTP-JM-FT. Please state salary expectations. Fax: 416-214-7807. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.